Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Tornadoes

I grew up in the Midwest, just outside of Kansas City, and we had lots of violent spring weather but I never saw a Tornado until my Senior year of high school.  I remember well the drills in school where we would line the school hallways sitting with our backs to the walls.  On stormy spring evenings in Kansas, my sisters and I would lay on a blanket and watch funnel clouds form briefly overhead, we'd Ohhh and gasp when a particularly good one appeared overhead.  It seemed more like fun than a big danger.  It always seemed to me that a tornado actually hitting where I was just wouldn't happen, but the years 1965 and 1966 were active ones, culminating with a F5 ripping through the middle of Topeka Kansas, following a F5 in Shawnee Kansas the year before.  Both produced fatalities.  I had to take cover a couple of times during close calls in those years.


The Oklahoma Tornadoes give us a picture of the destruction a tornado can do when it passes through a densely populated area, the pictures of Moore, OK were chilling, no structures left standing in the path of the funnel.  Take a minute and treasure your life and health, and pray for those who lost everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated for relevance and civility. Spam is discarded.