Sunday, November 18, 2012

Preparing for Thanksgiving

I am researching new improved recipes for the Thanksgiving meal, and among the things I think I'll try is soaking the turkey in a brine recipe like this.  This is to make the turkey more tender and flavorful, so I'm going to give it a shot.  On a related note, the cost of a full turkey dinner for 10 is supposed to be less than $50, but I'm dubious about the exact number until I see what's on the menu, however this article alleges it to be true.  They say the cost is only up a tiny bit from last year.  I'll keep track of what I spend and see how it compares.

Update Tuesday 11/20:
Well, I guess now I believe I could feed 10 people  a full turkey dinner with all the trimmings for under $50.  I did a little planning ahead and went to Winco and got their deal of 38 cents / LB if you spend $50 on other items in the same trip.  I bought dinner for the next two nights plus the turkey and all the trimmings.  The turkey was slightly over 20 Lbs and at $.38/LB it cost me $7.70.  I bought the cooking bag, apples and pie crusts for apple pie, acorn squash, stuffing, vegetables for the stuffing, potatoes and other snacks for well below $50, and I am probably feeding 6 people, with plenty of leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated for relevance and civility. Spam is discarded.