Friday, November 23, 2012

Progressive Talk Radio

The demise of KPOJ progressive talk radio in Portland was a real blow to the media scene here, especially since it was replaced with Fox sports programming, so we have no commercial progressive voices in Portland anymore.  I often had a hard time listening to the station for a number of reasons, but I will most miss the Thom Hartmann show, even though he is still on FSTV and other venues.  Thom is a brilliant voice of reason and a dogged critical thinker, and he avoids the hyped style that infects most talk radio personalities.  I felt that Carl Wolfson's show was too long on hand wringing personal opinion and too short on content, and I can't even listen to Ed Shultz because of his annoying talk style.  I agree with some of his commentary, I just can't stand listening to the cheerleading repetition that is his earmark.  About the only other progressive talk personality I can stand listening to is Mike Papantonio and the Ring of Fire show. 

I hope Carl is able to come up with some other local alternative, possibly a non-profit as opposed to commercial radio.  It is hard to imagine Portland with no Progressive voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated for relevance and civility. Spam is discarded.