Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Silliness and Secession

We hear a clamor from deep in the heart of Texas, "We want to Secede from the US!". It takes me back to the early 70's when I lived in Houston.  I had a night job and for some strange reason one of the night watchmen took a liking to me, pulled out his ornate revolver with its ivory grip and handed it to me to admire.  He confessed that he didn't care what color Charley Pride was, he was a genuine Country Western singer from Mississippi and that's all that mattered.  To me, that was an explanation of all that is the basis of Texas politics.  It's the fascination with guns and Country Western and JR Ewing.  While all this is true, I still have a bunch of progressive friends in Texas whom I love dearly, it is impossible to characterize a large number of people in a blanket statement, but this is my blog and I'll write as I please.

They got 119,476 signatures the last time I looked, but try as they might they're not getting any respect from the press.  One group has even created a PAC to promote secession-friendly candidates.  One comes to mind right away, perennial candidate Larry Kilgore, who recently changed his middle name to "SECEDE" (yes, allcaps), received 250,000 votes in the 2008 GOP Senate primary and is planning on running for governor in two years. (Among his other issues: instituting the death penalty as a punishment for adultery).

Ahh well, good luck with that guys.  My good friends down there just gotta put up with the crazies, we have them here too, armed with assault weapons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated for relevance and civility. Spam is discarded.